A Raw Food Diet for Your Cat: Give Your Feline Friend a Chance Eat a Truly Natural Diet
We tend to want to give the same care to our pets as we give ourselves. Many cat parents prefer natural diets—non-GMO, organic, nutrient rich. The consumption of additive and chemical free foods help keep diseases at bay for both cats and humans. According to many studies, raw food diets can really support a happier and healthier life for our feline friends. Read about the top causes of overweight cats here
The Main Components of Your Cat’s Raw Food Diet
- The best meat is dark muscle meat from organic poultry. Liver is also good, as it’s high in taurine
- Bones may be offered whole or ground
- Supplements such as cod liver oil, enzymes, and taurine can be mixed in
- Optionally, you may also add fresh raw veggies such as broccoli, carrots, squash, and potatoes. Adding a little pumpkin can help prevent your cat’s constipation. Adding a bit of kelp powder provides necessary amount of iodine
- Eggs may also be added for vitamins and protein
- A calcium supplement especially for cats (get from your vet)
Tips to Optimize Your Cat’s Raw Food Diet
- Stick to one animal source per feeding, but rotate meats in a variety
- A balanced raw diet should include flesh, organs, a bone or ground bone and a small amount of vegetation.
- The formulation is important. You may want to consult with your vet as not to take a risk of nutritional deficiency.
- If you feed fish to your cat, choose varieties that are not full of contamination and heavy metals such as sardines
- If raw meats are not handled and processed properly there is a risk of foodborne illnesses like salmonella.
- Be aware of your source’s hygienic condition, make sure your prep area is sterile, and don’t leave the meat sitting there for more than one hour and clean it up.
After extensive research we have found Primal Pet Foods, which our cats go crazy for. Our cats are family so we have read and researched what nutrients will not only support optimal health, but will help them thrive. Just as we would feed our children the best nutrients to help them become all they can be, we do the same for our cats. It is amazing to watch how they have grown, thrived and developed with the right nutrition. Primal Pet Foods quality is unparalleled.
We love the Freeze dried nuggets.
In conclusion, there is sufficient evidence that points to the fact that commercially processed cat foods are strongly linked to diabetes, inflammation, arthritis, urinary tract diseases, and obesity. They add grain, corn, chemical preservatives and the byproduct meats are often full of hormones. By trying the raw food diet for your cat, you very well could be giving him or her a better quality of life. Read more about why your cat is over eating here.